|Wood Deck FAQ
Can your Wood Deck pass this test?
Wood Decks by:
|Jamar Remodeling Inc
Building trust and Quality in North Carolina
• Do I need a permit to build a Wood Deck?
• What do I need to do to obtain the permit?
• What happens if I build without a permit?
• How do I know if my deck meets the code?
• Do I really need to maintain my wood Deck?
• Which types of Decks require less maintenance?
• When does my Wood deck need to be sealed?
• What happens if I do not maintain my deck?
• Is there an easy way to maintain my Wood Deck?
• What is the recommended maintenance?
• What is UV Deck Treatment?
• Should I power wash my new deck?
• Will power washing destroy my new deck?
• What is seal?
• What is a UV block?
• What if it rains when I am treating me deck?
• Do I need to apply a primer before staining?
• Should I seal and stain my Wood Deck?
Do I need a permit to build a Wood Deck?
• In most of the states a permit is required because it is considered structural work.
In this case, it carries a load other than itself – it carries the weight of a person.
Some decks are high odd the ground, requiring joists and posts to transfer loads
to the ground.
What do I need to do to obtain the permit?
• I most cases, you will need to submit a copy of the site plan showing the lot,
the deck, the position of the house in the lot, and the intended location of the
deck. For the exact requirement, you will need to call the building permit for your
What happens if I build without a permit?
• Don’t do it. It is not worthy it. In certain areas of the country, the county might fine
you or they will not let you sell your house until all the permits for all the
permanent structures are cleared. Obtaining a permit is not that difficult. The
homeowner or the licensed contractor can get it.
How do I know if my deck meets the building code?
• Check the building inspection records. If it shows that it was inspected, your deck
meets the building code.
Do I really need to maintain my wood Deck?
• If you like spending time outdoors in a nice looking deck, yes, you will need to
maintain your deck. If there is no regular maintenance, your deck will start to
show sign of deterioration from the exposure to the water and the sun. For longer
periods of time, your deck will start showing signs of rotting or splitting wood.
Which types of Decks require less maintenance?
• A deck build of composite materials requires less maintenance. However, a
composite deck is more expensive.
When does my Wood deck need to be sealed?
• Your deck should be sealed six to eight weeks after it is completed. Sealing will
protect your deck from splintering and discoloration.
Is there an easy way to maintain my Wood Deck?
• Yes, there is a complete process to maintain your deck in the following article ”
Wood Deck Safety – How to prevent your Wood Deck from Collapsing".
What is the recommended maintenance?
• Once a year. For a complete step by step program, review article “Wood Deck
Safety – How to prevent your Wood Deck from Collapsing"
What is UV Deck Treatment?
• A UV treatment is a penetrating oil finish that beautifies and protects the exterior
wood, providing a natural appearance. UV treatment is available in natural tones.
A UV treatment will last from 2 – 3 years. The time element will vary depending on
conditions such as the sunlight, weather and direction of exposure.
Should I power wash my new deck?
• Yes, all wood needs to be cleaned. When used properly, the power washer will
not damage the wood.
Will power washing destroy my new deck?
• Power washing is will not hurt your deck when used properly. Any time that you
clean with a power washer you may raise the grain a little. The raised grain will
need to be sanded down before sealing.
What is seal?
• It is a substance that will protect the wood by penetrating the wood fibers. It will
also slow down the rate of water absorption. The water will evaporate instead of
What is a UV block?
• It is a sunscreen to slow down the wood discoloration caused by the UV rays.
What if it rains when I am treating me deck?
• In order for the sealer to work, the wood must be dry. Consequently, if it starts
raining while you are sealing your deck, you will need to reschedule. If it rains
after the sealant has been applied, most of the time it does not cause any
Do I need to apply a primer before staining?
• Yes, the primer penetrates and seals the wood providing an excellent surface for
the stain to bond.
Should I seal and stain my Wood Deck?
• There are products in the market that will accomplish both objectives at the same
time. Consult your local hardware store for the list of the products.