Are Household Cleaners Harming Your Family?

A Guide To Help Choose Your House Cleaners...
Jamar House Cleaning
Building trust and Quality in North Carolina
Custom Homes
and
NC Investment
Properties
Jamar Custom Homes Logo
Jamar Properties offers custom home building and house remodeling services in the Charlotte – Concord area, NC
Please call us at 704-796-1437 or email us at : Marlen@JamarHouses.com
Address: 229 Patrick Avenue, Concord, NC 28025
Additional
House
Cleaning
Articles
Let our House
Cleaning
Experts clean
your house
If you look into the cabinets of your average household you will find
approximately 63 hazardous cleaners.
These range from the products we use
to disinfect our kitchens to the shampoo we wash our hair with. This results in
our homes being full of hundreds of poisons that could potentially injure or even
kill our loved ones.
Of course we all try to take the proper precautions to prevent
such accidents, but that is why they are called accidents.
No one intends on
leave a potentially deadly cleaner in a place where their child can get to. We buy
cabinet locks and put our cleaners in places we think our kids could never reach.
Yet every year there are about 1.5 million cases of accidental poisoning from
household cleaner reported to the U.S. Poison control center every year.

Let’s say you are in the process of cleaning your bathroom when the telephone
rings. You leave the room, only long enough to pick up the phone, which is all it
can take for your curious child to ingest any one of the products you have left out.
Children love to explore, they learn through trial and error, don’t allow this to be a
trail they don’t live to learn from.
One of the easiest and most dangerous ways to be harmed by cleaning
products in your home is to mix bleach and ammonia
. When this occurs, a
gas called chloramine is released. This gas is highly irritating to the lungs, it
causes the exposed person to cough and choke.
Bleach is found in dishwasher
detergent, mold and mildew remover and bathroom cleaner
. Ammonia can be
found in glass cleaners, metal cleaners, and dish washing liquid. As you can see
both of these product are likely to be used at the same time making the risk of
accidentally mixing the two products quite high.

Mixing bleach with an acid based product can also result in the production
of a dangerous gas.
In this case chlorine gas, which is also extremely harmful to
the person inhaling it.

Even if you do not mix bleach with another cleaner the sodium hypochlorite found
in bleach can irritate the eyes, skin, respiratory tract and gastrointestinal tract
. At
high levels it can severely affect these parts of the body and even may result in
death.

So now let’s go back to the same bathroom mentioned earlier. Instead of having to
leave to answer a ringing phone you are simply cleaning. You spray bathroom
cleaner containing bleach onto your sink and counter, next you go to the shower
where you use a mold and mildew remover also containing bleach. Now you move
onto the toilet were you use an acid based cleaner, finally you spay a glass cleaner
on the mirror and to shine your faucet. You have just created a toxic gas that you
are now inhaling as you continue to clean your bathroom.

Oven cleaner, drain cleaner and acid based toilet cleaner are the three most
potentially harmful chemicals found in the home
. Sodium hydroxide a
manufactured chemical is found in these cleaners. Even low levels of exposure can
cause burns on the skin and can also burn the eyes. High level exposure can
cause severe burns and even death. When mixed with other cleaners there is a
great risk for a violent chemical reaction.
Solvent based products such as furniture polish, spot removers, and metal polishers if
swallowed can coat the lungs. This can lead to pneumonia like symptoms and in some
cases death.

Tetrachlorethylene is another chemical found in many of the products found in most homes. It can be
found in paint remover, water repellents, spot removers, and wood cleaners. Tetrachlorethylene can
cause the central nervous system to work poorly; it can also affect the respiratory system. At high
levels the vapor can irritate the eyes, mucus membranes and respiratory tract. In liquid form it can
irritate the skin and result in chemical burns.

There is a solution to these dangerous chemicals that can keep you and your family safe.
The answer is green cleaning
. Green cleaning eliminates the use of dangerous and potentially
harmful chemicals and instead uses safe, naturally occurring elements to clean the home.
These
products offer the same level of cleanliness without the chemical side effects. Protect yourself and
your family and eliminate the danger from your home. Green cleaning is not only safer for you it is
safer for the environment as well. I
n addition green cleaning is often more economical, saving you
money.
Avoid health problems, use green products to clean your home
Do not leave your household cleaners unattended, they can be
dangerous
Avoid dangerous chemicals, use
green cleaning producst
Mom taking care of baby
Unattended household cleaners
lady experiencing a headache
Household Cleaners
Allergy sufferer use green product
Green Clean roduct